An Excel VBA combobox is a drop down list from where the user can make a choice. The difference between a listbox and a combobox is that with a combobox the user can also fill in his/her own choice if it is not included in the list.
Excel 2010 and Excel 2007 users. Click on Insert from the Developer tab and then click on Combo Box in the ActiveX Controls section.
Excel 2003 users. Click on Combo Box from the Control ToolBox.
1. Draw a combobox on your worksheet.
To add some items to the combobox, execute the following steps.
1. Add the following code lines to the Workbook Open event (or add them to your own code).
.AddItem "New York"
Note: use Sheet2 if your combobox is located on the second worksheet.
2. To link a cell to the combobox, right click on the combobox (make sure design mode is selected) and click on Properties. Fill in E2 for LinkedCell.
Note: also see the ListFillRange property, to fill a combobox with a range of cells.
3. Close Excel and reopen your Excel file.
4. Choose an item from the combobox or fill in your own choice.
5. Note: if you use these code lines in your own code, outside the Workbook Open event, add the following code line at the start of your code.
This way your items won't be added multiple times, when you execute your code more than once.
6. The previous code line doesn't clear your own choice. Add the following code line to achieve this.
Although in some situations it can be useful to directly place a combobox on your worksheet, a combobox is particularly useful when placed on a Userform.
Did you find this information helpful? Show your appreciation, vote for us.